Two ways to convert a JPG to AI file
In short, you have two options:
- Do it yourself.
- Have it done.
Method one: converting a JPG to AI by yourself
Again, you can do this in two ways:
- With a program.
- With an online converter.
Converting with a program
Adobe Illustrator is a widely used program to convert files to AI.
With this software you can convert not only JPG and PNG files to AI, but also other file formats such as a PDF, DWG, DXF, CDR, GIF, JPEG, DOCX (Word) and PSD file.
We also use this program for converting logos, illustrations and family crests to AI.
How to convert yourself?
In a nutshell, it works like this:
- Open the JPG, PNG or other file format (see list above) in Illustrator.
- Trace the image by hand. This involves tracing each shape in the image and filling it with a color.
- Save the file as an AI file.
Note that the second step is very important. If you don’t do this, then you are only changing the file type. The most important thing; the structure of the image, does not change then. It will still be in pixels instead of vectors (essential for a good AI file).
Pros of using a program
- The result is excellent.
- You can edit the AI yourself.
Cons of using a program
- It takes (a lot) of time to convert a JPG to AI.
- You have to learn to work with Illustrator before you can convert a file to AI.
- Adobe Illustrator costs money.
Converting with an Online Converter
You can find several websites on the Internet that can convert a JPG to an AI file. This is a matter of uploading, waiting a moment and then downloading the AI file. This sounds nice. Unfortunately, it also has its drawbacks.
Cons of an Online Converter
- The result is often disappointing. As you can see in the logo above, the lines are not neat. The little man and the text is angular. There is even a letter missing.
- It’s not free, often you have to buy a paid monthly subscription.
- You have to create an account.
Pros of an Online Converter
For comparison, the example below was created by our specialists. As you can see, the lines are neat. The male and the text is sharp and complete. This is the difference between an Online Converter (Vector Magic) and the professionals at ViaVector.
Method two: having your JPG or PNG converted into an AI file
Pros of ViaVector
- Your vector is converted by professionals. So always a good result.
- Ready within 24 hours.
- Small adjustment needed? Like changing a color or removing text? Please let us know, we are happy to do this for you.
- Different versions. For example a colored and black & white version.
- Easy ordering & payment through the site.
Cons of ViaVector
- Our price is higher than online converters (our rates).
Hi, I’m Annelies from customer service. Do you have any questions or comments? Please feel free to contact me using the form below. You will receive a response within 24 hours.
Last 3 blogs
There are several ways you can convert a JPG or PNG to a vector file. In this blog we explain how you can do this. We also indicate what the pros and cons are.
There are several ways you can convert a JPG or PNG to an SVG file. In this blog we explain how you can do this. We also explain the pros and cons.
There are several ways you can convert a JPG or PNG to an AI file. In this blog we explain how you can do this. We also indicate what the advantages and disadvantages are.