Making a vector file of, for example, a JPG or a PNG file can be done with programs such as Illustrator, Photoshop, and Indesign. Making a (free) vector can also be done online. You can also let us make a vector file.
Making a vector file in Illustrator
Adobe Illustrator is by far the most used program to make vector files. We also use this program. In addition to creating new files, you can also edit existing vector files with Illustrator.
In a nutshell, it works like this:
- Open the logo / image in Illustrator. This can be a JPG or a PNG file, for example.
- Trace the image by hand. This means that you trace each shape in the image and fill it with a color.
- Save the file as AI, EPS, or PDF (these are the three most commonly used vector formats).
- The result is excellent.
- You can edit the vector.
- It takes (a lot) of time to make a vector.
- You have to learn to work with Illustrator before you can make a vector.
- Adobe Illustrator costs money.
Making a vector file in Photoshop
Although it is possible, we do not recommend making a vector in Photoshop. This software was developed to edit photos and images. Over the years, additional vector functions have been added. Nevertheless, we believe that it is better to use Illustrator to create a good vector.
Making a vector file in Indesign
Indesign is a vector based program. Just like Illustrator. Here you can create vectors. You still need to manually trace the image (just like in Illustrator).
Vector file creation for a fixed price
Free vector file creation online
In the past, free conversion to a vector file was possible through online converters. Unfortunately, all these parties have introduced a “pricing” model. So making a free vector file online is no longer possible.
- Often the result is disappointing. As you can see in the logo above, the lines are not neat. The little man and the text are angular. There is even a letter missing.
- You have to create an account.
- You have to take out a paid monthly subscription.
The above example was created by our specialists. As you can see, the lines are clean. The male and text are sharp and complete. This is the difference between automatic conversion (Vector Magic) and manual tracing (ViaVector).
- Your vector is made by professionals. So always a good result.
- You do not have to fiddle around.
- Ready within 24 hours.
- Small adjustment needed? Like changing a color or removing text? Let us know, we’ll do it for you for free.
- Easy ordering & payment through the site.
- Our price is higher than online converters (our prices).
Creating a vector file from a photo
Making a vector file from a photo is possible. In this blog we explain how you can do this.
Hi, I’m Annelies from customer service. Do you have any questions or comments? Please feel free to contact me using the form below. You will receive a response within 24 hours.
Last 3 blogs
There are several ways you can convert a JPG or PNG to an SVG file. In this blog we explain how you can do this. We also explain the pros and cons.
There are several ways you can convert a JPG or PNG to an AI file. In this blog we explain how you can do this. We also indicate what the advantages and disadvantages are.
There are several ways you can convert a JPG or PNG file to an EPS. In this blog we explain how you can do this. We also indicate what the benefits and disadvantages are.