What is a PNG file?
PNG stands for Portable Network Graphics. It is a type of file used for images. A PNG is a pixel file because it is made up of small square blocks.
What are the advantages of a PNG file?
There are a number of great advantages to the PNG file format:
- The main advantage of a PNG is that you can compress the file without loss of quality.
- PNG files support up to 16 million colors.
- PNG files allow you to make the background transparent. This is useful if you want to use your image with a different color background or place it over something.
Are there any disadvantages?
- PNG files are often heavier than JPG files. You can read more about the differences between PNG and JPG here.
- A PNG cannot be enlarged endlessly: it remains a pixel file. But it is a very high quality one, so it can be used for most applications. Would you like to make your logo extremely large? This is possible with a vector file. You can literally enlarge that infinitely.
How do you open PNG files?
That is usually very simple: double-click on the file! Often the file will then open automatically in a graphics program on your computer. It may be that you do not yet have a program for opening PNGs. You will have to download one. Think of programs like Microsoft Photo, Microsoft Office Picture Manager or Photoshop. Your web browser will open .pngs automatically.
Want to know more?
Do you have another question? Then feel free to contact us using the form below.